Ah ... the Chinese Mid Autumn Festival, popularly known as the Mooncake festival.
This idea for a Top Ten really came up while having lunch today, when a discussion about the absurdities of the modern, commercialised Mid Autumn Festival, which falls in early October this year, took place.
Mid Autumn Festival evokes memories of young children, cheerfully playing with lanterns, the elders gathering round to appreciate the moon (that's what seung yuet literally means), and eating a slice of ....*cue: silly music theme* ... durian flavored mooncake !!! *stop silly music theme*
Look people, I know it's what they call ... innovativeness ... but durian flavored mooncakes? Why not manggis flavoring? Why no rambutan flavor? It's getting crazy, I'll tell you, the marketing gimmicks surrounding mooncakes. Every confectionary is trying to outdo the competition by producing more outlandish mooncakes, be it in terms of flavors, packaging or marketing.
While I still enjoy my mooncakes whenever I can, I hope I won't have to give it up someday just because mooncakes will stop becoming mooncakes.
So, what will make Moz stop mooning mooncakes? These are the top then flavors that would have me run in the opposite direction ... and more so if you add a couple of salted eggs in there ...
- Dragon Fruit <-- sadly, my mum just walked in with Dragon fruit flavored jerky ... what's happening with the world ???
- Ah Yat Abalone. Or Shark's Fin, for that matter.
- Chai Latte
- Coca Cola. <-- I hope no one's done a Coke flavored moon cake yet ...
- Ginseng, Gingko Biloba, or any other healthy herbs ... as if there aren't enough 'health food' out there already ...
- Beef Rendang
- Ngan Yin Cap Tangan peanut butter <-- if ever, they come up with this product in the first place ...
- Brand's Chicken Essense
- Diamond Energy Water
- Power Root Tongkat Ali (tm) <-- Imagine Mawi promoting Kuih Bulan perisa Power Root Tongkat Ali !!!